So it is the beginning of the year and pressure to become and achieve all that we hope for is at it’s highest peak with so many goals to achieve, new year resolutions and everything in between.
With each passing year, all we are striving for with our goals and resolutions is to become a better person and achieve growth on a personal level. Hence, personal growth is the journey of exploring and developing who you truly are. Exploring identity, talents and potentials, as well as dreams and aspirations. Personal growth develops you physically, mentally, spiritually and intellectually.
However the route you take to achieving personal growth, the key is to put yourself in situations that will trigger that exploration and development. Every journey is peculiar to every individual – that’s the personal part! It may just be an attitudinal change for someone or getting involved in trainings, up-skilling and travelling for another. The processes are numerous nothing is for sure, the gain of having achieved that growth is always priceless.
P.S – Remember, personal growth is not a destination but a journey, a process to be enjoyed. So here are a few ways you can get started on your own journey.
1. Know yourself – As cliche as it may sound, it is the very first step to embarking on the journey of personal growth. It is called personal for a reason. Now this isn’t about just knowing your likes and dislikes, or hobbies and those sort of things but a deeper reflection of who you truly are as a person. What makes you different, how you look at life, interact to people and what fires you up. This kind of knowledge is learnt by personal reflection, lots of alone time on situations outside your comfort zone. These situations are different for everyone. Most people think they know themselves, however they are relying on the version of themselves people say they are. To truly achieve personal growth, you have to detach yourself from the impressions of people and discover who you truly are outside of what they think by plunging into unfamiliar environments. For when you break through what you previously thought you were capable of, you’ll feel like you can achieve anything. And that is when you know your journey has begun.
2. Surround yourself with beautiful people – By beautiful, I am not talking about physical beauty but inner beauty. People with beautiful souls that make you see the world in a different light and in a whole new way. People that exude qualities you’d love to rub off on you. People that have a story to tell, gifts to share and lessons to teach. People that take stress off your life and show you the brighter side of life. Surround yourself with people who are filled with so much positive energy.
3. Rid yourself of people who bring you down – This one is a tough one especially if you’re a people-pleaser. And sometimes the person who brings you down is yourself (having negative thoughts). You have to shut out every negativity and the only person who can decide to do this and how best to get it done is YOU. Every situation is different and this is actually easier said than done but remember you are the CEO of your life and the journey of personal growth is entirely in your hands.
4. Stock up on the positive energy – Life is hard as it is and the pressure to become it ever so great. With everyone having a version of who they think you should become, it is only natural for the negative and depressing feelings to start rolling in. This is the time to stock up on some positive energy. It could be through meditation, gratitude journals or yoga. A good practice could be “Three good things”. Each day, you write down three good things that happened about your day or three things you are thankful for.
5. Avoid comparing yourself to what you see on social media – Social Media is a clipped, cropped, cultivated and possibly photoshop representation of ourselves. It is not who we truly are. We filter and post what we want people to see and honestly that’s ok. The key is to be mindful that this is what everyone is doing – EVERYONE. So when next you scroll through your feeds, remember that what you see has been carefully considered. So when we compare ourselves, you have a tendency to compare the worst of ourselves to the best of everyone else. This is not a healthy pastime and it only slows you down on your journey to personal growth.
6. Meet new people – Spending time with new people will broaden your horizon and open up different adventures and opportunities in your life. This will definitely take you a step closer to achieving your goals.
7. Read – This connects you with people that may have lived decades or even hundred of years before you were born. It gives you an insight into another world and perspective. And it grows you in the easiest and cheapest possible way from the comfort of your home.
8. Develop a light-hearted sense of humour – Don’t be so cranky and grumpy all the time. Learn to laugh an ease out tension. Embrace a lighthearted sense of humour plus a bonus is that it keeps you younger and eases off stress.
9. Make someone’s day – We are not created to live in a vacuum. The best way to move up the ladder of personal growth is to help someone. This brings a sense of fulfillment that crowns up the process and makes the journey worthwhile. Whether it’s for a stranger, friend or family, do something to brighten someone’s day. Seeing the effects of your kindness towards others will have a lasting impact on your personal growth.
10. Get better at a hobby – Hobbies are great ways to boost your personal growth. It is a creative outlet that offers introduces you to new people. When you are better as a hobby and passionate towards it, it becomes an achievement of something you always wanted.
13. Turn off the Tv
14. Get in touch with nature
For a bonus, how FUN each step of the way!!!
You can think about your personal growth all you want but if you don’t start the journey, you’ll be in the same place only older. So if you are ready to start or develop your personal growth journey, try one of the above listed and the Journey would be an exciting one.
If you already have started, more grease to your elbows and always remember, personal growth is not a destination but a journey. Leave your comments below to inspire someone to start their own journey!!